Friday, April 3, 2020

My life during the Covid-19 Pandemic

This post is going to be like a diary entry. It's from me to me, so if you want to skip it, feel free. I'm writing this so I won't forget what was going on. How I feel about it. You won't forget it. Yes, I will. I might not forget it happened, and unless someone really close to me dies from it, this will be another of those things that happens and then gets lost in the memory bank.

But will it?

Life as we know it is over. Harsh? Doubtful? Maybe. But I don't see the world coming out of this without changing. Jobs have been lost. People are losing loved ones. Bankruptcies will rise. Families are being forced to spend time together. That shouldn't be a bad thing, but for a lot, it is. My kids are grown, so I don't have them out of school and underfoot while their father (stepdad) is trying to watch TV but the kids are going stir-crazy and the dog is barking and I'm guzzling wine like there's no jesus to replenish it. My life isn't that way. Barking dog? Yes. Husband who wants to watch TV? Yes. Guzzling wine? Nah. I don't even drink it that often.

My life hasn't changed since this started. I already stay home all day, because I write full time. The man's job is essential, so he's still going to work everyday. Until they close the golf courses, he'll be doing that too. Does that worry me? Yep. Pisses me off too. Not only do I have to worry about my 86 year old mom who lives a couple hours away going to Walmart just because they opened early for older people, I have to worry about my husband bringing this home.

What has changed? Me going behind him and disinfecting everything he touches. My daily walks with Luna not being the quiet, peaceful "us time" they were. Everyone is out walking their dogs. Or jogging. Or riding their golf carts around the neighborhood. (It's a big neighborhood.) When people walk by, Luna barks. And she's loud. But that's what she's supposed to do. Warn me there's someone close to our house. Before Covid-19, it was once a day. Now, it's about once an hour if not more. That isn't conducive to writing. But I'm adjusting. Instead of starting my day at 8 or 9, I'm starting at 4 or 5. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but writing is my job. If I don't put the books out there, I don't make money. If I don't make money, bills don't get paid. And it's not like I can go out and get a job right now. All the people being laid off and terminated need the jobs that are out there.

I don't want another job. This is what I love. It's my passion. I need to write. So, I'll keep getting up at 4 or 5 to get the job done.

I've seen people come together over this. I have seen families spend more time playing. But I've also seen those who wish their kids were back in school, thus the copious amounts of wine. I feel bad for the seniors who are going to graduate without prom. Without the party. Without being to walk across the stage. This sucks for them. But it sucks for everyone.

I hope it's not too far down the road when we can look back and say "I'm glad that's over." But I'm afraid it will be later rather than sooner. According to my brother who specializes in infectious diseases, it's just getting started.

I think that's it. For now. If something changes, if things get a whole lot worse, or they miraculously get better, I'll post again. For now, I'm getting back to work. If you've read this far, please for the love of all that's holy, stay home. Stay safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment